|In our Emergency Department consulting practice, the single most important resource we advise our clients to insure they have in place is a real-time ED analytics software solution.
These concurrent, real-time analytic tools support efficient Emergency Department clinical workflow which saves time, saves money, and saves lives. And in today’s industry, workflow can have a significant effect on reimbursement.
ED Workflow and Value-based Care Delivery
- The quality of care in the ED is especially dependent on efficient clinical workflow. ED workflow is highly variable and requires real-time analysis to respond to resource needs.
- CMS requires EDs to publicly report throughput metrics and as of Q4 2014, these throughput metrics affect reimbursement. In many cases—that of stroke, for example—efficient workflow and throughput are critical to clinical outcomes.
- Throughput directly affects patient satisfaction scores that are publicly reported, tied to reimbursement from CMS and significantly impact patient’s choices for facilities.
- Throughput also affects the volume of patients an ED can treat in a set period of time. Increased capacity allows EDs to get patients seen quicker, reducing the time for testing, and, in turn, speeding discharges and increasing volumes.
Real-Time Throughput analytics
The most advanced EHR platforms do not deliver the real-time analytics tools needed to manage today’s complex Emergency Departments. Similar to other specific analytic tools needed for population health and perioperative management, an overlaying analytics tool delivery concurrent information is required for effective ED management.
Real-time analytic tools provide the ability to identify and resolve problems quickly before they become major problems and impact the quality of patient care.
ED analytic tools should provide:
- Real-time views, retrospective analysis and simulation forecasting for operational planning.
- Enable EDs to track a variety of throughput measures and workflow processes.
- Aggregate real-time data intelligence to enable higher level decisions about patient flow, staffing and resources for efficient management.
The results provide a significant ROI as well as an extremely cost effective and efficient ED department.
You can’t manage your financials without real-time analytics;
don’t expect your Emergency Department to do any less.